About Remote Year
Remote Year is a fast-growing global startup that focuses on changing peoples' stories and lives through community-based travel. Remote Year curates communities of interesting professionals, entrepreneurs, and freelancers from across the globe to travel on Retreats and 1, 4, or 12 month Work & Travel programs together. 93% of our customers report having a positive experience, and we are proud to continue to try to improve that number. As a brand, we believe that remote work is critical to a healthy work environment, and that travel while working remotely can lead to innovation, leadership, and growth.
Why work with us?
- We offer a competitive compensation
- You will work fully remote, like on our programs, the World is your office. Choose your base or next location
- You will join a diverse, globally distributed team, passionate about everything "remote"
- You will have the opportunity to join our programs
We are looking for a hands-on Director of Finance is responsible for providing consistent leadership in the financial area of the Operation by focusing on the profitability of the business; maintaining accurate and timely financial reporting; ensuring acceptable levels on internal control; ensuring compliance with all federal, state, and local regulations and Remote Year Standard Operating Procedures; and safeguarding owners/investors assets.
Your responsibilities include and are not limited to:
- Effectively manage and communicate cash flow related issues. This includes the accurate and timely preparation of monthly financial statements for the property: cash flow statements, management of receivables, payables, cash balances, control mechanisms and timely deposits of all funds.
- Monitor Operation revenues and expenses and ensure the accurate recording in accordance with Remote Year established guidelines. Monitors and controls Operational cash flow and operating forecast.
- Creates annual budgets and monthly variance analysis. Investigates and critiques variances to budget or to prior year and offer practical improvement methodologies to management.
- Manages the billing and receivables which is a large lament of the business.
- Ensure Operation' compliance on all regulatory licenses and permits, leases, contracts, legal agreements, and the proper execution of all operational taxes. Provide assistance to management in enforcing compliance on all these items.
- Analyze financial data and operations in order to assist and advise management in maintaining the Operation' financial objectives.
- Complies with Standard Accounting policies and procedures and internal controls for finance and accounting operations
- Timely reviews and approval of all balance sheet accounts, including monthly bank reconciliation and general ledger account reconciliations.
- Establish and continually audit all internal financial controls including purchasing, cash handling, disbursements, inventories, Operation assets, master keys, payroll, and employee records.
- Successful completion of all internal and external financial audits, including coordination of work with CPA firms and delivering information requested by auditors on a timely basis.
- Hire, train, supervise and develop staff, including coaching, counseling and discipline.
- Maintain compliance with Remote Year' standards and regulations to ensure safe and efficient operation of the Operation.
- Directs or prepares all financial reports in accordance with Remote Year' requirements, meeting various due dates and deadlines, i.e:
- Weekly: A/R & A/P Aging, Flash Reports, Payroll Reports, Revenue Updates
- Monthly: Financial Statements, Forecasting KeyStatistics Report, Cash Flow
- Annual: Budgets, 5-Year Plans, 5-Year Capital Plans
- Timely interacts with Executive Committee members to assure that property operations are on track and under control at all times.
- Monitor Operation' compliance in meeting required report deadlines and due dates and react accordingly.
- Monitor the accurate production of the Operation daily operating report.
- Executes other special projects and responsibilities as assigned.
- At least 5 or more years of Finance/Accounting experience
- Prior Controller or Director of Finance experience, preferably at a premium-branded Operation.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Bachelor's degree required preferably in Finance or Accounting.
- Must supervise 2 or more employees
- Must be proficient in Windows, Company approved spreadsheets and word processing and in the operation of all Operation-specific systems
- Startup experience preferred
- Must be proficient in US accounting principles and practices
- Experience with accounting systems such as Quickbooks and Netsuite
Diversity & Inclusion Commitment:
Remote Year is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive work environment for all employees to show up authentically and an inclusive and diverse travel environment for all of our participants to practice global empathy.